This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Context vs Object Explorations

120911 Context vs Object Exploration2
I am stealing my own thunder a little but I just can’t find time to complete my post about the Jefferson Library. However I have decided to use my morning walk and sketch to explore a few ideas.
In summary (also refer to notes above)
Context sketch
– START sketching the foreground first so not distracted by building details, and the space between you and the building is more convincing and more of the focus of the sketch
- focus more on the 3D form //massing of the building.
120911 Context vs Object Exploration1
Hopefully my notes make some sense and explain further... These were really rushed this morning....(as you can see I am enjoying scribbling working drawings in my sketchbook these days!)

Please ask questions....

5 comments:

  1. Liz,
    I think I understand what you're saying but I think the drawing of the foreground first without a lot of sketching background would lead to issues like what happened to you. Only someone who has the years of experience like you is able to measure and establish placement correctly. If I don't take the time to plot the placement first, I end up having to leave something out or chopping elements off.
    Frank B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frank – you must measure overall height of building in relationship to foreground before you start – I will try to look at that tomorrow morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank brings up a good point. I often misjudge space on the page and end up skewing the size of the building or chopping pieces off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks theailurophile – I am working on a sequel to this mornings sketches

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz
    Would like to see more of this measuring Process.
    Thanks for all you share.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin